Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 29: A photo of your room.

I love this room, despite it being the smallest room in the house.  And even though I already gave you a virtual tour of the rest of the house a few weeks ago, I'll just give you a short play-by-play of the progress of this room.

Here is what the room looked like before I purchased it.  Obviously the baby stuff isn't mine.
There are several reasons I chose this particular room.  First, it's right next to an open landing area off the stairs that I figured could eventually be swallowed by this room to create a large master bedroom (with a possible entrance to the bathroom to create an actual suite).  But after moving in I was feeling a little overwhelmed so I decided to hold off on major demo for the time being.  Second, with one of the other bedrooms serving as a closet, there was really no need for this room to be large.  Especially since I have the entire house for all of my stuff.  It actually works out really well.  I love it.
The first home project I started on was the accent walls in my bedroom.  These pictures make it look almost royal blue, but it's definitely more teal in real life.  That's what I get for being lazy and taking pictures on my iPhone.  It's much closer to this:
Definitely vibrant though.  I didn't want to paint all four walls in a dark color, so I chose two of the walls to accent--I just couldn't stop myself.  The other accent wall is the one with the door.

I had purchased the bedding before I even purchased the house and set it aside for "when I get a house..."  It was a surprise that I found (and remembered) once I started packing.  The colors are great and that's what I used as inspiration for the other accents in the room.

The pink/red flower picture, the white vase, and the black "box" shelf are all from IKEA.  The curly flower arrangement came from Cost Plus World Market.  Light switch is right next to the door.
I already had the bulletin board.  I just added 1/2" green ribbon that I pinned on with flat white thumbtacks.  Sort of a woven design so the pictures and words stay in.

And then there is the closet.  One of the bigger closets in the house (in the smallest room in the house, go figure), but like all the rest, it's an odd shape--about 3.5'x3.5'.  So, in order to maximize the usage of the space, I installed closets back in October.  Imagine me in the closet, trying to hold up the shelf with my shoulder, put the level on with one hand, holding the bracket with the other, and trying to figure out how to get the screwdriver--it was quite the experience.  You can read more about it HERE.  The space is great though.  I use it all the time.  Very practical.
 I'm also considering painting a smaller tree/branch art piece for above my bed (where my diploma is currently) like in the dining room (seen in THIS post).  It was a time-consuming process, but really easy--and much cheaper than the alternatives

I suppose as they say, a house/room is never "done", no matter how much work you put into it.

No comments: