Thursday, March 10, 2011

Day 22: A childhood memory that stands out to you.

Almost all of my memorable moments from childhood involve my brother.

The times we fought over nothing (who would flip the light switch), the times we play-acted Donkey Kong (or X-Men) in the backyard, our late-night conversations in high school about life and drama, or the numerous times we were asked if we were dating (which was promptly answered with an "eww! He's my brother!" sort of response).

My parents were really big into "driving vacations".  One particular vacation we flew to Boston and then proceeded to drive up and down the Eastern seaboard.  We also visited a lot of museums.  Thankfully I can look back fondly, but at the time, it was infuriating.  Not only did my parents insist on driving everywhere, but we drove one of the smallest 4-door cars: a Toyota Tercel.  It looked just like this, except the front bumper was blue like the rest of the car.
Now, Brad is a knick-knacky kind of person (got it from my mom), and I am a minimalist (got it from my dad)--not a stellar combination.  So Brad would get a bunch of kitschy souvenirs and then place them all over the center console in the backseat.  Nothing could be on top of something else, so his souvenirs looked like an army awaiting battle.  Then, we'd make a sharp turn and guess what, yep, all of his little trinkets fell all over me and my side of the car.  I, of course, would get angry and sweep all the remaining trinkets to his side of the car in a huff.  I think that might have been the moment when the center seat was banned from use by anyone.  Although I'm certain other battles over it ensued in future years.

Never a dull moment with my brother and I.  Such a vivid childhood.

No comments: