Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 15: Recall a recent dream.

If we've ever had a conversation about my sleeping patterns (actually, probably just if we've ever had a conversation), then you've heard about my "half-awake-half-asleep dreams".  A chronic sleeping dilemma I deal with.

Incredibly scientific-sounding name, eh?

Anyway, these dreams share one thing in common: despite their absurdity, once awoken from my slumber, I believe the dream was real and follow out the action/direction I was given.  It takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for me to realize that it was just a dream and nothing more.

In high school most of these dreams were sport related.  When I got office jobs, I'd wake up answering the (imaginary) phone.  Now as a homeowner I wake up to weird infestation or home-improvement related dreams.

Here's an example from a couple months ago, just for kicks:  In my dream, my bedroom/house had been infested by spiders/ants/etc. and I was told that I need to move all the furniture away from the walls.  So at 2:00 a.m. that's exactly what I did.  As soon as I finished, I realized the insanity of my actions and moved everything back.  Then spent another 5 minutes convincing myself that all I really needed to do was go back to bed.

Of course I have other equally strange dreams too.  Just a couple nights ago I was in a group that was split into teams.  The teams were practicing songs they had been given, and for whatever reason I was supposed to sing solo.  Nerve wracking to say the least.  Youth staff/leaders comprised most of the group.

I try not to analyze my dreams too specifically.  They're generally so outrageous that I just ignore them (or use them as a funny anecdote).

And I didn't have a great picture for this post, nor did I want to post a picture of some random person sleeping, so here's Max, my parent's pug.  Full of personality and, well, disregard for sleeping positions.

No comments: