Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 3: Something you’re looking forward to.

I like to have all kinds of things to look forward to.  That way there is always something on the wings for when I really just need a pick-me-up.  Generally there are three areas: immediate (next couple of days), short-term (next one to three months), and long-term (next year).  Here are some current ones. 

Immediate:  This is going to be a great week.  Axis on Tuesday, a photography class (to learn how to manually operate my camera) that I signed up for weeks ago, a coffee date to catch up with a good friend, and a fun craft night with another good friend.  In general, I'm just really looking forward to this week. 

Short-term:  I've got two great ones here.
Mexico: I'll be traveling with high schoolers to build houses in Mexico over Spring Break.  It's going to be a blast (from the past--see a great picture of me, circa 2003 on my last mission trip to Mexico.  Hello gringa, nice hair...)
While I would have never voluntarily put myself with groups of high-schoolers initially, I LOVE where I'm at right now.  I can't imagine working with better kids, better co-leaders, or better staff.  I'm overwhelmed with blessing and excited for this amazing opportunity to serve.

New York:  In April (hopefully) I'll fly to New York and visit one of my best friends, Megan.  She moved there around December, ready to go on a journey, and is having a great time.  I miss her so much, but now I have an actual reason to take a vacation, and a fantastic excuse to visit New York again.

Long-term: I know it's a little preemptive, but I'm already looking forward to my next race.  I'm not sure that it needs to be another marathon though.  Just something long enough to require training, patience, determination, and a dash of crazy.  There's something about the energy of running coupled with discipline that helps center me.  Right now, with some of my trips coming up, I'm unable to dedicate the proper time to train, but in a couple months I'm going to jump right back in.

P.S. On the topic of looking forward to things, I was really looking forward to today and it didn't disappoint.  I spent the day with my family: Bradley Alan (brother), his wife, and my parents.  They came over and indulged my propensity towards large-DIY projects.  I have this grand vision for a DIY chandelier light fixture and thank goodness I'm related to two engineers and very practically-minded parents.  I like to think of myself as smart enough to round up smart people to help me.  Can't get much smarter than that.  Plus, I love my family.  Perfect Saturday.
Yep, that's my awesome brother installing my light fixture this morning.

No comments: