Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Unconditional love

Deep love, unconditional.
A free gift

If I am loved to my core, right where I'm at, without strings attached, then why do I have strings on my relationships?

The beauty of Christ's love is in its simplicity.  Unconditional love.



It seems ironic to me that (in my head) I'm able to justify my decision to (without being asked for my opinion) share what changes I feel a particular friend should make.  Monetary, work related, relationship wise, etc.  I love them so much that all I want for them is a positive change.

Wrong.

Don't read me wrong, there is a correct place for calling out things in fellow Christian's lives, but this is not it.  And we're not just talking about Christians here either.  My call is to love people right where they're at.  The kind of love that people crave, but don't always understand.

John 17:24-26 (emphasis mine)
"Father, I want these whom you have given me, to be with me where I am.  Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!  O righteous Father, the world doesn't know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me.  I have revealed you to them and I will continue to do so.  Then your love for me will be in them and I will be in them."

At work this week we had a conversation about a church's role when dealing with less fortunate individuals that show up at the doors.  There are organizations across town that seek to help people, many of which have stipulations and lists of rules to qualify.  And while structure and a healthy balance is good for some people, we were challenged with the idea that a church's role is not to be a gatekeeper.  The church's role is to love and serve people right where they're at.  Positive change will occur through a desire to change, which comes from relationship.  Love lived out. 

Right where they're at.

Am I loving people right where they're at today?  Or am I secretly hoping they'll change?

I desperately want to love like that.

No comments: