Monday, January 31, 2011

Coconut Layer Cake

Saturday night I was the queen of convincing.  Before Amanda even know what happened, I had conned her into baking a cake with me from scratch.

Okay, okay.  So technically she received the Magnola's Bakery Cookbook in the mail and was so excited about it that she lent it to me to peruse.  That was her first mistake.  Once I got my heart set on baking a cake, all was lost.


Recipe online (per Leite's Culinaria)

We tag teamed through the entire recipe.  I was measuring out ingredients while she beat all the ingredients into submission with the electric mixer.  I worked on the filling as she poured the cake batter and got it in the oven.  And after a short, but necessary, dinner break, we hit the frosting process with a vengeance.

Of course, our tag-teaming ways didn't allow much time to take pictures of the process.  I'm going to blame it on our efficiency.  Plus, there are some of the before and during pictures that I wouldn't show you--thank goodness for forgiving frosting.  But we did get some "afters".  And all three layers of it sure did look beautiful when we were done.


I'm not a huge frosting person.  Having too much frosting on a cake/cupcake gives me the same feeling as rubbing velvet in the wrong direction.  But this frosting had the consistency of whipped cream and tasted just as good.  Definitely not too sweet.  Plus the filling was amazing.  But really, how can you go wrong with sugar, milk, and coconut?

This photo is just for kicks and giggles.  Further proof that my kitchen lacks a few things.  This is the only thing big enough to cover the cake while it sat on the counter.


Perhaps next weekend we'll get bored and bake something else.

No comments: