Sunday, January 9, 2011

Motivation for change

I used to think that anything that motivated you to make a positive change was good.  That the most important part was the change in the right direction.  And that it didn't matter the path you took to get there, as long as you got there.

Last night in my reading I was again challenged.  Spurgeon writes:

"I look at the weeds which overspread my garden, and breathe out an earnest wish that they were eradicated.  But why?  What prompts the wish?

It may be that I may walk out and say to myself, 'In what fine order is my garden kept!'  This is pride.

Or, it may be that my neighbors may look over the wall and say, 'How finely your garden flourishes!'  This is vanity.

Or I may wish for the destruction of the weeds, because I am weary of pulling them up.  This is indolence. (Inclination to laziness)

So that even our desires after holiness may be polluted by ill motives.  Under the greenest sods worms hide themselves; we need not look long to discover them."

So perhaps the final destination (change) isn't really more important than the journey (reason for change).   Something to chew on.  Especially for a "destination" minded person.

Positive change is good, but change for the right reasons is even better.

No comments: