Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Promises

I love the symbolism of rainbows.
A sign of promise in the sky usually following a storm.

I get "rainbows" sometimes.  A reminder that God has a plan, that God has promised to lead me somewhere.  When life is hard, when I'm not even on Plan B anymore--but plan F or G, when all I can do is cry, God gives me "rainbows".  Not always the colorful arc in the sky--but just as meaningful.

What I love even more about rainbows, I learned in college.  Rainbows always form in a circle.  To be able to see the whole circle you'd need to be in a plane above the water droplets with the sun on your back.  I obviously don't get that view very often, but it doesn't matter.  Just knowing that a rainbow forms in a circle, instead of just an arc, makes it even more meaningful. Sort of like the symbolism in a wedding ring with no beginning and no end. There is no end to God's promises.
That's the shadow of the airplane in the middle of the rainbow.
God's promises don't all come at once either.  We don't get to see the whole circle very often.  We get to see a snippet.  A reminder of what He has promised His people. What He has promised us.

Those reminders have a tendency to ground me.  They help me to appreciate the blessings in my life.  They give me hope that I can make it through the next stretch.  They pull me closer to God.

There really is nothing better than a rainbow.

No comments: