Friday, April 22, 2011

God in an Apron

Reflecting tonight on what Good Friday means.  The magnitude of the sacrifice.  Jesus' servant attitude as an example of how we should live.  I'm overwhelmed with the meaning of this day in history.  More so, I'm irrevocably changed because of God's deep love for us.  He chose us.  He values us.  He loves us.  What more is there?

God in an Apron
By Macrina Wiederkehr

Supper was special that night
There was both a heaviness and a holiness hanging in the air
We couldn't explain the mood
It was sacred, yet sorrowful.
Gathered around that table
Eating that solemn, holy meal
seemed to use the most important meal
we had ever sat down to eat.

We were dwelling in the heart of mystery
Though dark the night
Hope felt right
As if something evil was about to be conquered.

And then suddenly
the One we loved started us all
He got up from the table
and put on an apron.
Can you imagine how we felt?
God in an apron!

Tenderness encircled us as He bowed before us.
He knelt and said, "I choose to wash your feet because I love you."

God in an apron, kneeling
I couldn't believe my eyes.
I was embarassed until His eyes met mine
I sensed my value then.
He touched my feet
He held them in His strong, brown hands
He washed them
I can still feel the water
I can still feel the touch of His hands.
I can still see the look in His eyes.

No comments: