Friday, April 8, 2011

Journey or Destination?

I'm a destination person.  I generally see the "journey" as the necessary evil to eventually reaching the destination.  A means to an end.
When I trained for my marathon, I didn't find great joy in the months and months of training required to be ready for that race.  I focused on the race--a single-minded kind of focus.  That's one of the only things that kept me going during some of the mentally-hard parts.

I'm always ready for the next thing.  The next goal.  The next finish line.  I rarely stop to just "smell the roses" along the way.  I find it extremely difficult to appreciate the scenery along the journey because I'm so singly-focused on finishing.

More recently I've found myself in the company of "journey" people.  These are people who I've always struggled to understand.  The people who didn't seem to "get" my insistence to keep moving--speed and efficiency were not necessarily their methods for completing a task. 

I've always loved the fact that I always finish what I start, but my introduction to more journey people has made me wonder what I have been missing along the way.

Is there a way to be both?  To appreciate both fully? 

No comments: