Monday, September 13, 2010

A good friend

A year and a half ago I lost faith in friendships.  I was hurt in such a deep and profound way that I wondered if I would recover again.  I shut down for a while, and then I whirred back to life in almost an out-of-control fashion.  I was determined to fill my life with all kinds of friendships--solid friendships with people who genuinely wanted to be around me as much as I them.  But the goal was less on quality and more on quantity.  I would not let the past repeat itself.  Like the last little bit of jelly in the jar I spread myself thin.  At some point I sat down, exhausted with all the running around and wondered how my current situation solved the initial problem.  There was still the remnant of pain, just overshadowed by all-consuming busyness.

I did a little analyzing, sorting through, and figuring out who actually was on my "home team" and I made a wonderful discovery.  Underneath the madness and chaos of my "as many friends as possible" game plan, I realized a beautiful friendship developed.  I didn't appreciate it for what it was until I took the time to slow down and let it reveal itself to me.  The constant busyness (that I still struggle with) clouded the glass.

I heard God say that it's time to journey into the next chapter.  Thankfully I have a good friend to journey with.  The pain of loss never really goes away, sort of like a dull ache, but the beauty of rebirth and revelation at what's right in front of your face is breathtaking.

Today I am thankful for friends.  Not just the commonplace acquaintances who ask how you are but don't really care, but the life-changing, "I'm always here, even in the middle of the night" friendships.  The people who make life brighter by just being around.  Thanks Megan :)

1 comment:

Megan said...

You are phenomenal and I'm happy to call you one of the greatest friends ever. I love you!