Friday, October 22, 2010

Pumpkin carving

I'm not a huge pumpkin carver.  Or a celebrator of anything Halloween related, really.  This holiday honestly creeps me out.  Coffins, spiders, witches, and other equally gross things adorn peoples houses for an entire month.  Yuck.  No thank you.  Not at my house.  It just makes no sense to me.

I grew up in a home that didn't believe in trick or treating.  I've never been (and I don't feel like I missed out on anything either).  We celebrated non-scary costumes at a church harvest party instead.  And we didn't hand out candy to trick-or-treaters either.

Perhaps this is why this holiday is such a non-event in my mind.   What is there to really celebrate?  Demons, witches, and scaring little children?  Sounds incredibly uplifting...

Regardless, autumn brings with it some pretty cool looking things.  Pumpkins, gourdes, Indian corn, etc...  And I found a recipe for pumpkin seeds that I was just itching to try.  So I bought a pumpkin, which is totally unlike me.  And then I figured if I had the pumpkin and was scooping out the innards for the seeds, I might as well carve something on the front.  So Megan and I had a pumpkin carving party.  I chose the letter "m" for mine.  I of course realized after we lit the pumpkins that mine actually looks like an m&m.  Guess I've got sugar on my brain... 

Despite the disgusting factor of pumpkin guts all over my hands, it was actually sort of fun. 

Look at me being all autumn festive-y.

No comments: