Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Quietly wait

Psalms 62:5 "Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in Him."

Quietly.

Wait.

Is this difficult for anyone else?

I was challenged with the idea that God gives you an answer for all of your prayers.  If you didn't feel like you had an answer it was either because 1) you relationship with God isn't right or 2) you were given an answer that you didn't want to hear and dismissed it or 3) your question had already been answered and you forgot.

I pushed back from this idea almost immediately.  But why?  Surely not because I want to accept the idea of "unanswered" questions.  But because if God really does answer, then how do I continue justifying my "Well, I haven't heard my answer from God yet..." responses?

Then I read this verse and the idea was posed.  "What if I don't 'hear' my answer because I never really bother to listen?" Ouch.  Communication is definitely a two-way road.  And for a long time I've been doing a lot of the talking.  Perhaps it's time to pose some questions and then take the time to actually listen.

No comments: