Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Buying a house

It's only Wednesday night, but enough has happened in the last three days to fill at least an entire week.  According to me.

It's another one of those "transitional" periods in my life.  Time to buy a house.  No need to "wait until I'm married", I can comfortably do this now.  So why not?  It took me a year to warm up to the idea, but I got there and with the help of a great real estate agent, I started looking at houses.

At least 20 houses and 1 failed offer later, I put an offer on a short sale in the neighborhood near Salem Alliance.  I was pleasantly surprised with the house.  I didn't expect much (they didn't post any pictures of the inside of the house online, so I assumed the worst), but the inside and the charm of it all blew me away.  The problem was that it was a short sale.  I could potentially be waiting months for an answer, most of all any response to my offer.  Good thing God had given me a peace about it, and even better because the wait gave me ample time to deal with other issues in my life at the time.

Almost exactly one and a half months after I submitted my offer, I got the written acceptance from the bank.  Monday morning, 8am.  Surprise!  Time to move full speed ahead.  Within minutes my real estate agent was scheduling a home inspection (for Tuesday morning) and contacting my mortgage broker.  We were in business.

No movement at all for a month and a half, and now it seems like we're making up for lost time.  Like life hit the fast forward button. 

A home inspection and subsequent contractors estimates to deal with serious issues are just some of the surprises this week has held so far.  Closing has been set for September 17.  The reality is setting in.

I could be a homeowner in less than a month.  Less than a month.  I've never felt as much like an adult as I do now.  Life is definitely never dull.

No comments: