Friday, August 27, 2010

Chinks in the armor

It's amazing what tidbits of information can literally take your breath away.  Leave you completely unaware of your surroundings--suspended in time and space.  And then, just like that, you're back where you were, but now your heart is filled with an indescribable anxiety.  An overwhelming sense of dread.

There are vulnerable spots in my armor.  Small chinks--sometimes seemingly invisible.  Spots raw with insecurity or fear.  Highly susceptible to certain bad news. 

And before I really know what happened, there I am.  Lost in a sea of anxiety.  Literally struggling to breathe in and out, but obviously I do.  And each breath gets easier.  Almost like the waves crashing onto the shore.  I reach out and Jesus takes my hand again.  I stand up out of the dirt and brush myself off.  His peace slowly erodes the anxiety and dulls the sharp edges, just like the ocean and glass bottles.  

No comments: