Monday, August 30, 2010

Be careful what you ask for

Monday morning.

As I got into my car this morning all I could think about was how much I would rather be reading this book I started last night (Streams of Living Water by Richard Foster).  A pretty typical Monday morning thought.  I turn on the car and start driving to work, but I can already tell that my car is handling in a strange way.  Sometimes you can just feel the changes even if you're unable to articulate them.  Something was wrong, but I hoped that it was just the tires interacting with the new rain on the road from last night.

Several blocks later I start hearing a thumping noise.  Uh oh.  That's a problem.  I pull into the Roth's parking lot to inspect and there is a fine specimen of flat tire looking back at me.  How perfect for a rainy Monday morning, right?
An incredibly nice man in the parking lot offered to put my (rusty) spare on for me.  He must have seen the lost and confused look in my eye.  Sometimes that look comes in mighty helpful, because while I'm sure I could change a flat tire if necessary, there's absolutely no guarantee that it wouldn't take me several hours to do so. 

I drive straight to Les Schwab and have them check the tire.  What do you know, looks like someone decided to slash my tire last night.  Maybe they were upset the weekend was coming to a close??  No way to repair it and vandalism isn't covered on the warranty.  Excellent.

I sat in the waiting area at Les Schwab as I received a text from my brother.  He wanted to know how I was doing with the whole thing.  Honestly, I felt great, relaxed and peaceful.  In fact, I think it's more than irony that I asked to be able to read my book this morning and got just that, a mini-vacation.  Which makes the whole morning more of a blessing than anything else.  Interesting how God works.

I find myself in the overflow of God's love and provision this morning.  Flat tire and all. 

No comments: