Sunday, October 23, 2011

Flexible

I met with an amazing group of girls last Thursday night.  No agenda.  Just dinner and random conversations.  It was an evening rich with laughter and honesty.  One of those beautiful side effects of community.  I think I finally found it.

Part of the evening revolved around the meaning behind names.  How they are given and how sometimes we need to "grow" into them.  Each first and middle name was looked up and shared with the group.  These are always the moments where I feel a little disappointed that my name wasn't something cooler--or that it didn't describe me well enough.  Okay, okay, the meaning wasn't terrible.  My first name was something like lovely person--boring enough that I can't really remember it.  What really felt like the oddball to me was my middle name, which translated into: flexible.  Practically the opposite of how I feel and act 90% of the time.  I laughed it off and put it out of my mind.  Until another friend called me out and told me that I'm in a great place to practice adaptability, aka: flexibility.  Oh the signs God uses to get my attention. 

I've tried looking up my middle name again online, perhaps for an overwhelming "ah-ha!" moment from God.  But it must have been an error.  Or was it?

I'm being called to be flexible.  Regardless of what my middle name translates into.  More stepping outside my comfort zone, more leaping into the unknown, and more actions that feel risky. 

I'm being called to bigger things.  More than I'm able to do when I'm hunkered down in my "comfort zone".  Big risks, big rewards, more kingdom glory.  A lot more flexibility.

No comments: