Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Art-sy

My roommate's brother came to visit a couple months ago.  I admittedly didn't have a whole lot of contact with them, but in one sparing conversation he told me that he liked my house, and that it "had an artistic feel to it".

Honestly, his comment blew me away.

I had never looked at my house as "artistic".  In fact, I was still living under the phrase, "I'm not artistic, I can't even draw stick figures well".  I truly had given up on "being artistic".  I didn't draw, or paint, or sculpt.  I wasn't an artist--I was left-brained.  I repeated it so often that it became my reality.

Hearing that comment made me open my eyes.  And then I read this post by Steven Furtick about how no one is really "original".  I was dumbfounded.  I've done a LOT of projects in the last year--many of them reproductions (with tweaks) from others.  I had undervalued my own artistry.  Crazy.

Me?  An artist?  It's still so weird.  But I've at least come to terms with the fact that an "artist" isn't bound by certain mediums or productions.  Everyone is an artist.  Even me.

No comments: