Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Drifting

I graduated from college without a clue of what I wanted to do.

Within six months of graduating, I was positive that I already knew what "that" was.

When I told people, they always told me I was lucky to know so early.  I couldn't help it, but I loved it none the less.  Who wouldn't want to know their life direction so early on?  That definitely "fit" the plan I had for life (generally speaking).  I guess that should have been my first red flag.

Now three plus years later, I think I might have been mistaken.  After chasing the elusive dream (that I was so certain of for so long), it no longer looks worth chasing.  Sure, it'd probably still be fun.  But, for the first time in years, I've been forced to reassess what that means for me.  I thought I was just following God's plans... I felt it was inevitable.

Now, I think I'm headed in another direction.
The scariest part is that I have no idea what the new direction is.  And that definitely doesn't fit into my ideal plans.  Nor does change or uncertainty. 

I'm not exactly navigating well either.  Feeling adrift isn't my idea of fun.  And try as I might, I've never been the greatest at the "go with the flow" mentality.  Life is shifting around me.  I just wish I knew what direction it is shifting in.

No comments: