Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Brother and sister

My brother and I fought all the time in elementary school and junior high.  In fact, I attribute some of my very excellent organization skills to this fact; my punishments for fighting with my brother frequently involved cleaning a closet or a kitchen cabinet.  We didn't start getting along until high school, and then for a while my brother was my best friend.  Of all the people in the world, my brother knows me the best. 

We haven't always been the best of friends, and he hasn't always dated girls that I liked, but we found our rhythm and he found an amazing girl.  He's getting married in September and I couldn't be happier for him, truly.

He's ready to get married, go to grad school out of state, and then join the Peace Corps with his wife.  I love his passion for water and third-world countries.  I just love him more.

I try to hold on to every spare moment that I have left before he moves away and I see him infrequently.  We were riding home from a family reunion, just me and my brother, and the thought that it might be the last time was slightly overwhelming.

I guess the lesson here is to appreciate the time you have had and optimize the time you have left with the people you love.  Life changes, regardless of my preferences, and God is in control.  I wish I had started sooner, but I suppose everyone feels that way.

No comments: